Header AD

Land, Air & Sea Travel Papasok at Palabas ng Metro Manila Sinuspinde na ni Pangulong Duterte

President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday announced tougher measures to combat the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), including work and class suspensions as well as travel restrictions, as part of a "community quarantine" in Metro Manila.

The Philippines raised Code Red Sub-Level 2 over the COVID-19 threat.

Addressing the nation from MalacaƱang, Duterte said government work would be suspended and skeletal workforce will be implemented.
Land, domestic air and domestic sea travel to and from Metro Manila will be suspended from March 15, 2020 until April 14, 2020, subject to daily review of the government.

Duterte announced the "community quarantine" over the national capital region after his meeting with the members of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) in MalacaƱang.

“It’s just a matter of protecting public interest and public health,” Duterte said.

"Ayaw naming gamitin yan kasi takot sa lockdown, but it’s a lockdown,. There is no struggle of power here, it is a matter of protecting and defending you from COVID-19," he added.

Duterte also said classes in Metro Manila are suspended until April 12.

He also announced guidelines for how local government units should implement quarantines for cases of COVID-19.

Clear crisis

“The crisis is very, very clear,” Duterte said, following a meeting with the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID).

Duterte urged the people not to panic, follow the orders of government and practice social distancing.

“Do not kill yourself with worry. Government is doing everything to make it at least controllable,” he said.

Mass gatherings, planned or spontaneous, will also be prohibited, Duterte said.

The Philippines will also ban foreigners from countries with localized COVID-19 transmissions.

The Philippines has so far 52 confirmed cases, including two deaths, as of Thursday, according to the Department of Health.

Duterte’s latest policy pronouncement came after several administration officials and senators announced that they have self-quarantined following exposure to persons who tested positive for the disease.

A number of government agencies have also suspended work to give way to the disinfection of their offices.

Since the virus was first detected in the Chinese city of Wuhan last December, the number of confirmed infections globally surpassed 118,000. Fifty-two of these cases have been recorded in the Philippines.

The virus has already killed more than 4,200 people, including two in the Philippines, which is now under a state of public health emergency.

The World Health Organization declared on Wednesday the viral outbreak a pandemic.

Land, Air & Sea Travel Papasok at Palabas ng Metro Manila Sinuspinde na ni Pangulong Duterte Land, Air & Sea Travel Papasok at Palabas ng Metro Manila Sinuspinde na ni Pangulong Duterte Reviewed by AsianPolicy.Press on 10:17:00 AM Rating: 5

Post AD