Header AD

DOLE exec says cash aid program for OFWs ongoing

DOLE exec says cash aid program for OFWs ongoing
By Ferdinand Patinio
MANILA – The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) continues to accept applications for cash assistance from overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), an official said on Thursday.

In a statement, Undersecretary Claro Arellano dismissed as fake news reports that the Abot Kamay ang Pagtulong (AKAP) program for displaced and stranded OFWs due to coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic has been terminated.

"We've been receiving feedback on such fake news. AKAP is a continuing program to help our OFWs during this crisis," he said.

AKAP provides a one-time USD200 (PHP10,000) cash aid for affected OFWs.

Arellano said the program has so far benefited close to 145,000 OFWs.

Applications for cash assistance are accepted in the Philippine Overseas Labor Office where the Filipino worker is employed.

The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is processing applications from applicants in the Philippines.

The program was designed to assist displaced land-based and sea-based workers. It has a budget of over PHP2 billion.

The department has so far received more than 450,000 requests for assistance. (PNA)

DOLE exec says cash aid program for OFWs ongoing DOLE exec says cash aid program for OFWs ongoing Reviewed by AsianPolicy.Press on 3:31:00 PM Rating: 5

Post AD